Pages

Thursday 5 December 2019

Activity 2: Exploring Our Roots

Activity 2: Exploring Our RootsTaika Waititi is a New Zealand filmmaker, director, actor and comedian. He has produced and/or directed a number of popular films including “Boy,” “Hunt for the Wilderpeople” and “Thor: Ragnarok.” As a child, Taika Waititi lived in Raukokore (a small town on the East Coast of New Zealand). When he graduated from secondary school Taika moved to Wellington to study drama at Victoria University. Despite moving away from home, he has never forgotten his family or his roots (where he comes from). Speaking of roots, Taika comes from a culturally diverse family. His dad is Māori (Te Whānau-a-Apanui) and his mother is Russian-Jewish. I, on the other hand, am Pākeha (New Zealand European). Most of my ancestors come from England. When I talk about who I am, and introduce myself to others, I sometimes use a pepeha.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For this activity, we would like to create your own pepeha. You can write the pepeha in any language that you wish. If you need some help, please visit this pepeha website or use this template.

I have used to website to create my pepeha. If you have trouble reading it, please click on it and enlarge it. 

On your blog, post a copy of your pepeha.Please remember that smart learners do not share their full name online (first name only).You can use your last name initial (e.g. Laura N) on the pepeha website. If you use this website, please do not submit your email address - take a screenshot of your pepeha!



3 comments:

  1. Bula vinaka Riansha!

    My name is Mikey. I'm a member of the Summer Learning Journey team this year and I'll be commenting on some of your wonderful blog posts over the summer. I'm so pleased to see that you've made a start on the teaser week activities. It's good to get a bit of practice in before Monday, when the programme officially starts.

    Thank you for sharing your pepeha with us. I love listening to people's pepeha and being able to learn a little bit about them and where they're from. Do you go home to Fiji often? I've been to Fiji a couple of times and I absolutely loved it! It's such a beautiful place.

    Keep up the great blogging, Riansha! I'm looking forward to reading more posts from you soon.

    Until then, happy blogging! :)

    Mikey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mikey, Yes sometimes I do go home and visit in the holidays and stuff.
      -Riansha

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.